8.07.2008

Laura's March


One day a couple years ago, I sat on a bench at Burlington's Lake Champlain Waterfront. I was in a general state of awe at the beautiful place where I live--which is often the case when I venture down to the water to watch the sun dip down behind the Adirondacks. I happened to read the memorial plaque on the bench, and felt particularly connected to the words:

Laura Winterbottom
1973 - 2005
The Wonder of the World,
Beauty, Order, Shapes, Colors,
Light and Shade.
These I saw.
Behold, ye also, and marvel.
These lovely memorial words struck me, emphasizing life and wonder and awe. Becky, my sister, was born in 1973, so it hit me, too: this girl died way too young. I found out later that Laura Kate Winterbottom was a victim of a brutal abduction. Her family has since raised awareness and funds for all kinds of projects through the Laura Kate Winterbottom (LKW) Fund. The LKW fund web site in her memory is filled with Laura's artwork and the obvious compassion and love of her family.

The second annual Laura's March is coming up, September 6. I will be away, but the folks who come out will be in my heart.

No comments: